Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Child's Interpretation

Each night before bed I sing the kids four songs. The first two are songs I made up when my kids were newborns -- one for Ava, one for Jax. The next is "You are My Sunshine" and the final is a hymn called "Teach Me to Walk in the Light." This routine has become such a habit that often I get to the end of our four songs and can't remember actually singing them all. Last night was one of those nights. When I leaned in to give Jax a hug and kiss he looked at me, tears in his eyes and with his voice quivering said, "Mama, why can't that boy walk?" I had no idea what he was talking about. "What boy, honey?"  "The boy in the song? Why he doesn't know how to walk?" I had to stop and think. Then, I realized what he was talking about. Here are the lyrics to the first verse of "Teach Me to Walk in the Light" (you can click on the link to hear it):

Teach me to walk in the light of his love
Teach me to pray to my Father above;
Teach me to know of the things that are right;
Teach me, teach me to walk in the light.


My sweet boy thought that the child in the song didn't know how to walk and needed to be taught. He was so concerned about this child who, in his mind, couldn't walk that he was brought almost to tears. I hugged my little guy and explained to him that the song was about how Mommies and Daddies need to teach their children to be like Jesus. He understood that concept, but I don't think he understood how that related to the song. However, he seemed comforted by it, gave me a kiss, told me he loved me and went to bed.

I don't think I'll ever sing or hear that song, without thinking of this sweet moment with Jax.

1 comment:

Joni said...

Too cute and so sweet of him. We love that song at our house too. I'd love to hear the other 2 about the kids!