Friday, November 14, 2008

A Day of Firsts...

I never thought this day would come. I've been waiting for it for over five months, but to be honest, I had kept my hopes very low. Today, Jax experienced a baby rite of passage. He sucked his toes. I loved it when Ava first stuck her little piggies in her mouth. I had hoped Jax might do the same, but to be completely honest, I had kinda come to terms with the fact that he likely wouldn't. There is a lot of belly in between his mouth and his toes, I was sure the little chunker wouldn't be able to contort himself in a manner conducive to toe-sucking, or that if he tried, he would suffocate on his own chub. But, lo and behold, he did it. As Andy changed his mega-poopy diaper (Jax's, not Andy's) the little dude just popped those little toesies in his mouth and started gnawing. In all actuality, there wasn't a whole lot of sucking going on, just chomping. He's teething, so I guess his toes are just as good as his fingers, my fingers, Andy's fingers, Ava's fingers, teething rings, toys, books and anything else he can get in his mouth. Anyway, he seemed so happy to have his toes in his mouth and pretty darn pleased with himself. To be honest, I was pretty pleased too. He's got such a fun little personality, he really is just a happy, goofy, little guy. This, is just icing on the cake.


Add Image
While we're talking about firsts, Amazing Ava had a HUGE first today! She traced her own name, ALL BY HERSELF!! As she and I colored tonight, she asked me to write her name, as she always does. As she spelled her name out and I wrote each corresponding letter, I watched her color and noticed she's gotten so good at coloring in the lines. Granted, she stills veers out, but she really has learned to control her crayon well. So, I thought I'd write her name in dotted lines and see what happens. To my total and utter amazement, she did it, no problem, on the very first try. I was so excited! She asked me to do it a few more times and then moved on to drawing pumpkins. I don't think she realizes how big this is! Soon enough, she won't need the dotted lines, she really is amazing!

No comments: