Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A Lesson About the Flag

Our favorite grocery store has a HUGE American flag in its parking lot. The kids love to look at it every time we go, especially if it's windy because not only does the flag dance in the wind but it makes a loud snapping sound as it waves.

As we came home the other night, Ava noticed the flag was at half-mast.
"Why is the flag down so low?" she asked. So I explained to her that the flag is flown at half-mast when someone very important has died. She, of course, asked why. "It's a sign of respect and a way to say thank you for their service."
"Why is it at half-mast today." As gently as I could, I told her that several soldiers were killed by a bad man and that by flying the flag at half-mast we're showing them and their families respect.
"Why did he kill them?" I really had no answer, I just told her we don't really know why. She seemed saddened and looked for a few more seconds at the flag. On the way home, I heard her explaining to Jax why the flag is flying at half-mast.

I thought it appropriate to share this story today, Veteran's Day. I am thankful for the brave men and women who have sacrificed time from their families to protect our freedoms, and of course, I am grateful for those who gave their lives while in uniform -- whether fighting a war, or at the hands of a madman, because even if they didn't die on the front lines the fact that they were soldiers proves that they would have been willing to.

No comments: