Thursday, July 8, 2010


We finally got Jax in for his two-year checkup today... a month late. Eh, not much happened in that month with the exception of volcano ear (which I'll explain). First, though, here's the stats (feel free to scroll past this if you're not a grandparent).

Height: 36" (90th percentile)
Weight: 32 lbs (80th percentile)

So there you have it. He's still big. Both he and Ava seem to be going through major growth spurts right now. Maybe it's the humidity. Or maybe it's the massive amounts of watermelon these kids consume. Or maybe, they're just going to take after their Daddy and be tall. Who knows.

The pediatrician says everything looks great! She was impressed that he's already potty training so (we even bought him big boy underwear today) and says his vocabulary and speech are well beyond normal for his age. She was especially surprised at how well he puts entire sentences together. He has his big sister to thank for that. She's a big talker. He had to learn to talk, and fast, if he wanted to ever get a word in edgewise. So he did. Which has been so helpful in Ava's pretend adventures. Now she has someone other than Mama to share in all the excitement with, and who can add to the storylines and make-believe fun.

And finally... the pediatrician  said the mancub's ears are looking great, which was a HUGE relief after the volcano ear incident about two weeks ago. Jax woke up one morning with blood just oozing out of his left ear. Andy calmly suggested we get him into the doctor, I, of course, panicked and started looking up "brain aneurysms" online. In hindsight that was obviously a little dramatic. But, I'm a worrier. You know that. I'm pretty sure I'll end up in the loony bin one day. Anywho, we got him into the pediatrician that day (different one) who told me "volcano ear" (as a woman in our ward calls it) sometimes happens in kids with tubes. Either, the ear was inflamed due to infection or sickness, or the tube is beginning to push it's way out. He asked if Jax may have stuck anything in his ear. I kinda laughed at this question and said, "No, I've never seen him stick anything in his ear." AS I said this, I look over at Jax and he's sticking a tongue depressor in his ear. Seriously. The EXACT moment. The little dude just smiled impishly, like he knew he was making me look like an idiot. I'm pretty sure my face caught on fire from embarrassment. The doc looked at me suspiciously, but just gave me some drops and sent us on our way. The drops seemed to help and Jax is always so good to remind me to put them in, but still today two weeks later he had some stuff coming out. Today's ped says it looks like the left tube is beginning to dislodge, which is kinda early. Usually, tubes should stay in for 1.5-2 years, Jax got his in one year from yesterday. She must have sensed that I'm a worrier, maybe I make a worrier face, or maybe there's just a worrier-ness about me, whatever it was she was very adament in stressing that this is nothing to worry about. His ear could very well be ready to go tubeless. Or, it could be abandoning ship prematurely. If that's the case, he'd just get another set of tubes. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So there you have it. Jax is huge. My kids like watermelon. Jax and Ava talk... alot. Jax's ears are fine. That would have been much simpler. But what would a blog post from me be if not long? :)

No comments: