Sunday, June 28, 2009

Slippin' n' Slidin'

This is my 100th blog post. I feel like I should make a cake or something, like TV shows do upon reaching their 100th episodes. Maybe I'll treat myself to an ice cream sandwich when I'm done.

Grandma and Grandpa sent the kids a Slip and Slide a few weeks ago. I think I was just as excited to tear it out of the box as Ava. It brings me back (very far back) to my childhood summers. I didn't have an actual Slip 'n Slide. What I did have, was just as good. It was a plastic hopscotch.... big, long yellow. Perfect for not only hopscotching, but slipping and sliding. One hot Phoenix day my dad stuck the hose on it and I slid and slipped and, I'm sure, got plenty of grass stains. So, as you can imagine, I was uber-excited for Ava and Jax to have just as much summery fun. However, our weather has been terrible and very un-June the past few weeks, so the Slip n' Slide sat in our laundry room until Thursday, when finally, the sun woke up and brought us some much needed warmth and dryness. Ava invited her little buddy Ethan over, and the slipping and sliding began.

I assumed that Ava and Ethan would just know how the the Slip n' Slide worked. I don't know if I thought it was an innate ability or what, however, I was sorely mistaken. They both kinda stared at the thing blankly initially. Joni, Andy and I all tried to explain, "You run, and then you slide on your belly." So, they army scooted across the thing. Despite our attempts to correct them, they seemed just as content doing things their way. Andy, wanting the kids to get the full Slip 'n Slide experience begin sliding pushing them down the slide. He got a workout... the kids had a good laugh.

Look at that face!


Ethan & Ava Train

Even Jax, who most of the time, insisted on simply walking down the runway and sitting in the "water cushion" at the end, signed "more" to Andy after each shove down the Slip 'n Slide.





After close to an hour-and-a-half of fun, the kiddos finally gave in to their shivering bodies and decided it time to wrap up in a towel and each lunch... which they topped off with popsicles and another ride down the Slip 'n Slide.

I have some video that I hope to get up tomorrow. Until then, enjoy the pictures!

No comments: