Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Just Something I Whipped Up

I haven't had much time for sewing as of late. When I'm not being a wife and mommy, I'm a businesswoman. My little business keeps me much busier in my "off" hours (aka, naptime and bedtime) than I could have ever dreamed. It's a blessing, but it can be exhausting. Many-a-night as I sit in my room designing or cutting vinyl, the yards and yards of fabric that sits patiently in my closet calls to me, "Use us, use us." While the temptation is sometimes too overwhelming to resist, alas, I somehow find the strength to tune out the calls. But, the other night, I gave in. I'll admit, I let my fabric get the best of me and now I can't stop. Here's what I've been working on (although I haven't finished everything): drawstring bags for the kids' toys, two dresses for Ava, a skirt for Ava, shirts for the kids, a "lovey" for Jax, dresses for my friend's twin girls, a carseat cover and covers for the rocking chair cushions. My to-do list is much longer.

I will have pictures of everything in the near future, but for now I had to post Ava's skirt. This is my first skirt attempt and I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. What's most important is the Little Miss loves it!





I learned a couple things for the next time around: I think I'll gather the bottom portion a little more so it's a little "rufflier" and I'll do a drop-waist instead of elastic. But overall, not too shabby. If you're interested I got the basic info for the skirt here but I changed it up a little adding the contrasting band and flower. I know, I'm fancy ;)



All-in-all this project took me about an hour-and-a-half. Honestly, I think I could have done it in an hour but my sewing maching seemed to be a little possessed, or maybe a little jealous that I caved to the pleas of the fabric, but previously ignored the glances of my sewing machine.

I know this probably isn't a big deal to many. And the more experienced crafter/sewer could hammer this baby out in no time. But for me, an amateur to say the least, I'm pretty excited. Can you tell? Now, on to the next project...

2 comments:

Rob and Sara said...

Love the skirt! It turned out super cute!

Sarah Jarvis said...

Wow, that is really impressive! I love the skirt. It is so cute. I can't believe all the things you get done... You are amazing!