Monday, September 29, 2008

Chunky Monkey


I will never have a tiny baby. Both of my kids were just under 9 lbs. at birth and both exploded into giant babies from there... harvesting rolls upon rolls and cheeks that rest on their shoulders. If Ava was chunky, then Jax is the Chunky Mothership!

Ava and I took the mancub in for his four month appointment today. I was prepared for him to tip the scales, I mean, I lug the kid around all day and I have to separate his rolls when bathing him. Trust me, I know. However, I just didn't realize the extent of his girth until he was weighed and measured. Watching the numbers move on the scale is always exciting for me. I have always loved seeing how much my kids weigh. Maybe, it's because I play a little guessing game with myself and I like to see how close I am to their actual weight, or maybe it's just that I like to have an actual number associated with what I feel in my back. Either way, after I laid Jax on the scale, I watched the numbers move rapidly. I was pretty sure the thing was going to explode. Finally, they stop. I get excited... DOH! They're in KG. Darn you metric system!! I start trying to figure it out in my head, but Ava is playing on the big-kid scale so, I get distracted and somewhere along the way I forget to carry a one or move a decimal... I dunno. But I had to wait for the nurse to get out her calculator and give me the official number. 19 POUNDS 11 OUNCES!!! That puts him in the 99.9% of boys his age. WOW! Then they measure him. 27 INCHES! 95%. Okay, atleast he proportionate. But that doesn't make him any smaller!

Here's my favorite part. The nurse says to me, "Wow, he's a big boy." As if that's the first time I'm hearing that. Then, the question I get at least twice on a daily basis: "What are you feeding that kid?" Before I give my response, I have to make it clear that I get this question ALL THE TIME! I got it two years ago with Ava, and here I am again. With Ava and even in the beginning with Jax, I was always so polite, "Oh, (haha) nothing he's not supposed to have. He's just a good eater!" But, to be honest, that just got boring. So, I look at the nurse and say, "I usually just nurse him. But he has the occasional cheeseburger." It takes her a second to process, but then she gives an uncomfortable chuckle. Ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

So, I have a big, giant baby! There's just more of him to love!! And to be honest, I wouldn't have him any other way. Like I said, I've never had, nor will I ever have a tiny baby. I just give birth to giant bolgna loafs! But, they're healthy, their happy, and oh, they have the most kissable cheeks! I love my Chunky Monkey! He's the Squishiest!

No comments: