Sunday, February 22, 2009

One-Armed Bandit

I knew this day would come. I guess I expected it to come a little later. But alas, it has arrived. Ava's first injury-related X-Ray.

It all started Monday. We went to a friend's house for desert and some Wii (Ava kicked booty). At one point, and I'm not exactly sure how it happened, Ava fell out of a chair. It wasn't like, "oops, I slipped and landed on my bum." Nope, it was more like, "I'm a Weebles, I wobble and I DO fall down." She just kinda tipped out of the chair. Very odd. Anyway, she landed on her arm. She cried for a little while, but found comfort in playing baseball on the Wii.

Tuesday and Wednesday she kept complaining her arm hurt. I noticed she was using it, so I wasn't too concerned and just chalked it up to post-fall soreness.

Thursday rolls around, same thing. By Friday, she was holding the injured arm close to her body and limiting her use of it. She also winced when I touched her arm. There was never a bruise in the area she said hurt, so I thought it best to take her to the doctor. The doctor promptly sent us to the hospital for an X-Ray and put Ava in a sling. Now, here's the thing about the sling. It's so sad that my little girl has to even wear the darn thing. I hate that she hurts, she hates that she can't move her arm. But to be honest, it's kinda cute. I mean, here's this little person with this little tiny sling. I guess it's just the size of it that makes it so adorable. That's pretty applicable to all things tiny. One time, after doing her business on the potty, Ava took a look (who doesn't) and commented, "Oh, look at those cute little turds." See, it applies to anything.


Anyway, we are still waiting to hear back about Ava's arm. She seems fine. We haven't been able to get her to keep her sling on and she's hasn't complained about pain at all today - GOOD NEWS!

The bad news is, we got into a car accident on our way out of the hospital. We're both fine. Wish I could say the same about the car. We take it in tomorrow to the insurance company for damage assessment. Keep your fingers crossed...

No comments: