Sunday, March 14, 2010

Disney on Ice

The Little Miss will be four Wednesday. FOUR! When did that happen? In her head, she's still three-and-a-half. She assures me she will remain that age until her birthday when she is officially four. Anyway, lucky for us Disney on Ice was in town last week so I thought it appropriate to take my Disney-loving daughter to see the show as an early birthday present. Just minutes before we headed out the door, the sweet girl asked if her little brother could come along. She thought it would be something he would like. I'll admit, I was a little hesitant as I questioned Jax's ability to sit still for that long, but Andy was swamped with homework and I just thought it was so nice that Ava wanted to include her brother, that I agreed.



Prior to the show, we got to take a look at a display of Disney princess dresses and even meet two "real life really real princesses" (Ava's exact words) -- Cinderella and Tiana. Ava, of course, was jumping out of her skin.



Once we got to our seats it was only a few minutes before the show started. In the meantime, we got a $10 bag of cotton candy (that's right, $10), complete with this awesome hat
.



Once the lights went off Ava, of course, was hooked/ Jax, however, wasn't all that convinced this was a good idea, repeatedly telling me he was scared UNTIL Mickey came onto the ice, a few minutes later, all the "Cars" characters rolled out and Jax was in the zone.
I loved seeing the looks on their faces when a familiar character came out onto the ice, or they heard a favorite Disney song.
Because we didn't have a ticket for Jax, he had to sit on my lap, and sit he did for almost the entire show. The last 15-20 minutes were a little rough (during the Tinkerbell portion of the show) and he much preferred walking up and down our empty row trying out each seat and seeing what kind of stickiness he could find on the floor.
When all was said and done and the kids were begging for more, I quickly rushed them into the bathroom to change them into their jammies (that's right, I changed my kids in a public bathroom). As expected, Jax quickly fell asleep in the car. Ava, on the other hand, was wide awake. I think it was a combination of the excitement from the show and the massive amounts of cotton candy she consumed. Regardless, she couldn't stop expressing just how much fun she had and how grateful she was I had taken her. It took another hour to get her to sleep after we got home, and when she woke up the next morning the first thing she started talking about was Disney on Ice... and then asked when she could have the leftover cotton candy.

2 comments:

Joni said...

Ethan was so sad to hear we weren't going...good thing we were on vacation so he forgot. Glad you had a great time.

PS Avery started cooing and babbling when she saw your pictures...she knows our friends!

Sarah Jarvis said...

Wow. I am so glad you got to take your kids to something they loved so much. And what is wrong with changing your kids in a public bathroom? Besides all the germs. But hey, what does not kill them makes them stronger, right?