Thursday, June 17, 2010

Mama's Clothes

My parents sent my very first soccer uniform to us this week. I wore it when I was five, and the only girl on the "Charging Cheetahs." Ava, being the little soccer player she is just HAD to have the jersey, so I washed it and stuck it in her dress-up box. This morning, when I had her go pick out her clothes for the day, this is what she brought me.


How could I resist? I'll admit, I got a little nostalgic seeing my little girl in my old jersey. A few things stood out to me: first of all, Ava is WAAAAAY taller at four than I was at five. I can specifically remember that shirt going down to my knees. As you can see, it's nowhere near Ava's. Secondly, this jersey is the only one in my many years of soccer and volleyball that didn't have a #9 on the back. Next, we had some SHORT shorts in the 80's. There was no way Ava was putting those things on. Not to mention, the elastic had dried out and broken which would have made the shorts fall off my skinny minnie. And lastly, Ava is such a little girl now. Really, she's a full-fledged little girl kid. Not a baby, not a toddler, barely even a preschool... she's a kid. And she's already acquiring her own soccer jerseys. She already has two, and I assume there will be many more in the future. I'll be sure to keep them for my grandchildren.

No comments: